Between work and traveling to my previous hometowns to visit family, I travel fairly often. And while I used to be horribly unprepared for a large percentage of my flights, the years of air travel under my belt have taught me well. Now, I know exactly what I need to make for a successful flight. Here’s what’s in my carry-on:
- The Carry-On Itself: Let’s start with my carry-on of choice, the Samsonite Jordyn Tote. I love this tote because it fits everything I need for a successful flight in various perfectly-sized pockets, and it connects to the top of my rollerboard suitcase for easy maneuvering around the airport.
- My Macbook: To get work done, of course! But, as I’ve learned as mentioned in My Top 7 Air Travel Tips, you can never rely on the airplane wifi, so I aim to have any files I need downloaded in advance of taking off.
- Zip-Up Hoodie: Airplanes are the worst when it comes to temperature! Too hot, too cold…you never can tell, so I dress in layers and always have a hoodie with me. This Mossimo zip-up from Target is always my go-to!
- Magazine: In case I get tired of looking at a digital screen, sometimes it’s nice to have a printed magazine to browse.
- Business Cards: You never know who you might meet on a flight!
- Wristlet Pouch: Since airlines limit you to one rollerboard and one personal item, I usually keep my actual purse in my suitcase and carry a simple wristlet with me to keep the key items I’ll need handy, including my ID, credit card and a small amount of cash. My trusty Kate Spade pouch is no longer available, but here’s a really similar one (with polka dots)!
- Ear Buds: Especially for flights when you just want to sleep, these are clutch to drown out the various sounds of the plane.
- Various Chargers: I make sure to have one for every device I have with me.
- Eye Mask: While I don’t typically take this on shorter flights, I especially do for red eyes or anything over a few hours. Like the ear buds, this can be really helpful for catching some in-flight Z’s.
- Kindle: I always have a least a couple books loaded onto my Kindle so I can read in the terminal, on the tarmac and in the air.
- Lip Gloss & Moisturizer: There’s nothing worse than dry chapped lips, especially at 30,000 feet, so these are a must for me. Carmex is always with me, but I’m also obsessed with Le Metier de Beaute’s Lip Creme as well!
- Notepad & Pen: You never know when inspiration might strike, so I always carry a notepad and paper with me just in case.
- Healthy Snack(s): Air travel really messes with my eating habits, so I always carry a healthy snack option or two (and water) so I’m ready if hunger hits.
- Neck Pillow: For those longer flights when I just need to sleep! I highly recommend a memory foam one, with a button to enable you to hook it to the strap of your carry-on to conserve space inside (like this one).
- My Phone: But who really goes anywhere without it?
What’s in your carry-on bag?