Last night, I had the pleasure of attending the grand opening of the Sparkle Bar, Arizona’s first and only full-service makeup studio. In addition to sipping champagne and chatting with founders Alexandra and Leiah about the studio, their vision and their favorite makeup products, I had a chance to get a “blush rush” service by makeup artist Candace and pick her brain about some long-wear lipstick tips.
If you follow my fashion posts, you’ve likely noticed that I’m not a huge lipstick wearer. That’s not necessarily because I don’t like lipstick, but rather, because I just really haven’t perfected wearing it. Me wearing lipstick usually goes something like this: I put it on in the morning, I eat or drink something, the lipstick is gone, I never re-apply it. In an attempt to get better and break this terrible cycle, I had Candace share a few of her pro tips with me during my application.
Here’s how her application process goes and her tips for lipstick that lasts all day:
- Start with concealer as the base to prime your lips, similar to how you would on other parts of your face.
- Use a liner, and apply it while smiling.
- If you’re going with a dark or bold lipstick color, actually fill in your entire lip with liner. It’ll help the color really pop and last all day.
- Apply your lipstick. Using a long-wear lipstick is key. Candace used Laura Mercier’s Stickgloss on my lips, in maple.
- Put a tissue up against your lips, but don’t really kiss it hard. Rather, dust your powder on the outside of the tissue so some of it gets through and sets your lipstick.
…and now you’re ready to rock rouged lips all day!
I absolutely loved my makeup overall! What do you think?
I was also thrilled to get to catch up with friends Katrina (fashion blogger over at the Foxy Kat) and Jalia (makeup artist and esthetician at Hazel Eyed Queen and the Sparkle Bar) and chat about Phoenix Fashion Week, which is less than a week away!
If you’re in the Scottsdale, AZ area, be sure to check out the Sparkle Bar. With services ranging from a $20 blush rush, to a $40 full-face, or even camera-ready makeup for $50, the Sparkle Bar has something for all needs, and the team is incredibly friendly and helpful! I promise you won’t be disappointed!