If you read my fashion posts or follow me on Instagram, you may have made the observation that I’m somewhat obsessed with the half-up top knot. Because my hair is naturally pretty dry, I try to wash it no more than once every three days, but that often means my day-three hair is a little limp. Luckily, the half-up top knot is a perfect way to add a little excitement to otherwise 3-day-old hair!
Not quite sure how to do the half-up top knot? Here is an easy photo tutorial of how I do it on my short hair (but in truth, it should work about the same on longer hair as well)…
How to do a half-up top knot:
- Using your fingers, grab the top section of your hair. It doesn’t need to be perfect, as the look is supposed to be a little messy, so don’t worry too much about having perfectly straight lines.
- Using a small hair elastic, put this top section in a ponytail on top of your head. Be sure to pull it tight.
- Tease the ponytail for a little extra thickness in your top knot. If you have really thick hair, you may not need this step, but I find it makes a fuller bun on my short/somewhat thin hair.
- Twist and wrap the hair around the base of the ponytail in a very non-perfect way. Again, it’s meant to look a little messy.
- Then, use a second small hair elastic to secure it.
- At this point, it will look messy, but not in a good way because you’ll see the elastic peaking through, so I take three bobby pins and use them to pin the hair down around the elastic to cover it.
- Once everything is in place, spray down the fly-aways with some hairspray, and viola! You officially have a half-up top knot!
Are you as obsessed with this easy/messy hairstyle as I am?!